LocationUAE, Jordan, Online Training
Welcome to the Negotiation Skills workshop. Although people often think of boardrooms, suits, and million dollar deals when they hear the word “negotiation,” the truth is that we negotiate all the time.
For example, have you ever…
- Decided where to eat with a group of friends?
- Decided on chore assignments with your family?
- Asked your boss for a raise?
These are all situations that involve negotiating! This workshop will give participants an understanding of the phases of negotiation, tools to use during a negotiation, and ways to build win-win solutions for all those involved.
Research has consistently demonstrated that when clear goals are associated with learning that the learning occurs more easily and rapidly. With that in mind, let’s review our goals for today.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating
- Understand and apply basic negotiating concepts: WATNA, BATNA, WAP, and ZOPA
- Lay the groundwork for negotiation
- Identify what information to share and what to keep to yourself
- Understand basic bargaining techniques
- Apply strategies for identifying mutual gain
- Understand how to reach consensus and set the terms of agreement
- Deal with personal attacks and other difficult issues
- Use the negotiating process to solve everyday problems
- Negotiate on behalf of someone else
- Understanding Negotiation
- The Three Phases
- Skills for Successful Negotiating
- Getting Prepared
- Establishing Your WATNA and BATNA
- Identifying Your WAP
- Identifying Your ZOPA
- Personal Preparation
- Laying the Groundwork
- Setting the Time and Place
- Establishing Common Ground
- Creating a Negotiation Framework
- The Negotiation Process
- Exchanging Information
- Getting off on the Right Foot
- What to Share
- What to Keep to Yourself
- Phase Two – Bargaining
- What to Expect
- Techniques to Try
- How to Break an Impasse
- About Mutual Gain
- Three Ways to See Your Options
- About Mutual Gain
- What Do I Want?
- What Do They Want?
- What Do We Want?
- Phase Three — Closing
- Reaching Consensus
- Building an Agreement
- Setting the Terms of the Agreement
- Dealing with Difficult Issues
- Being Prepared for Environmental Tactics
- Dealing with Personal Attacks
- Controlling Your Emotions
- Deciding When It’s Time to Walk Away
- Negotiating Outside the Boardroom
- Adapting the Process for Smaller Negotiations
- Negotiating via Telephone
- Negotiating via Email
- Negotiating on Behalf of Someone Else
- Choosing the Negotiating Team
- Covering All the Bases
- Dealing with Tough Questions